Green Sundakai – 100 gms
Coconut – 1 cup, grated
Bengal Gram – 1 tsp
Dhaniya – 1 tsp
Dry Red Chillies – 3
Toor Dal – 1 cup, boiled
Mustard Seeds – 1/8 tsp
Asafoetida Powder – a pinch
Oil – 4 tblsp
Salt as per taste
1. Heat oil in a pan over moderate flame.
2. Add the sundakai and stir-fry for a minute.
3. Add water and salt.
4. Cook for a minute or two.
5. In a separate pan, add a little oil.
6. Add the bengal gram, dhaniya, dry red chillies, and coconut.
7. Fry for a few minutes with little oil.
8. Remove and transfer to a mixer jar.
9. Add a little water and grind well.
10. Add the ground paste to the sundakai pan along with toor dal.
11. Simmer for a few minutes.
12. In a small spoon, heat a little oil and fry the mustard seeds.
13. Pour this into the kootu and add asafoetida powder.
14. Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
15. Remove and serve hot with rice.
image credit: tasty appetite