Prawns – 500 gms, peeled, heads removed, deveined
Egg – 1, lightly beaten
Breadcrumbs – 1 cup
Oil for deep frying
For the Sweet and Sour Sauce:
Ginger – 1/2 inch piece, peeled
Small Onions – 2 to 3, peeled
White Vinegar – 4 tblsp
Sugar – 3 tblsp
Salt – 1/2 tsp or as per taste
Tomato Ketchup – 2 tblsp
Tabasco Sauce – 2 tblsp
1. Flatten the prawns into a butterfly shape by gently pressing with your hands.
2. Brown the ginger and small onions.
3. Place the browned ginger, onions, vinegar, sugar, salt and ketchup in a pan.
4. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to medium.
5. Simmer till all sugar has dissolved.
6. Remove and discard the ginger and onions.
7. Bring to a boil again and add the tabasco sauce.
8. Cook until it has thickened.
9. Remove and keep aside.
10. Heat oil in a pan.
11. Dip the prawns in the beaten egg and then into the breadcrumbs.
12. Deep fry until golden brown.
13. Remove and drain excess oil.
14. Serve with the sweet and sour sauce.