1 lime sized ball of Tamarind
4 Red Chillies
1 tblsp Coriander seeds
a few Curry leaves
2 medium Onions
2 big Tomatoes, grated
4 Garlic Flakes
1/4 tsp Mustard seeds
1/4 tsp Cumin seeds
handful of Coriander leaves
Salt to taste
1. Soak dal in water for a couple of hours.
2. Drain water and grind dal to a coarse paste with ginger, chillies, garlic and onions.
3. Mix salt, lime juice and coriander leaves in the dal paste.
4. Make a 1/2 an inch thick layer of the paste in a greased thali.
5. Steam it till it turns firm.
6. Remove from fire, cut into diamond shaped pieces.
7. Deep fry the diamond pieces to a golden colour.
8. Grind coconut, chillies, coriander seeds and garlic to a paste.
9. Heat 2 tblsp of oil and fry the ground paste till oil comes out.
10. Add tomatoes, salt and turmeric powder.
11. Cook till the tomatoes turn soft.
12. Meanwhile, soak tamarind in hot water for 4-5 minutes and squeeze out the pulp
13. Pour tamarind water along with 2 cups of water into the tomatoes.
14. Heat the mixture till it boils and then reduce heat and add the dal pieces.
15. Cook for 5 minutes.
16. Heat 2 tblsp of oil and put in mustard and cumin seeds, curry leaves and 2 broken red chillies.
17. When the seeds stop popping, pour the oil mixture over the curry.
18. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve.