A traditional and popular South Indian halwa made with carrots.
Carrots – 500 gms, peeled, finely grated
Sugar – 400 gms
Milk – 2 cups
Ghee – 2 to 3 tblsp
Cashew Nuts – 20 to 25
Cardamom Powder – little
1. Heat a pan over medium flame.
2. Pour the milk and add the grated carrots. Stir well.
3. Simmer for 4 to 5 minutes.
4. Add sugar and stir well until fully dissolved and starts to thicken.
5. Fry the cashew nuts in ghee and add to the halwa (with the ghee).
6. Add cardamom powder and mix well.
7. When the ghee starts to separate, remove from flame.
8. Garnish and serve.
Tip: If desired, you can also grind the carrots to a puree and strain them to extract juice.
image credit: spicesofindia.co.ukCarrot Halwa,