Mysore Masala Dosai (or Mysore Masala Dosa as it is called) is a very popular Dosa variety from Mysore. Crispy on the outsude and smeared with Onion (or Garlic Chilli) Chutney and stuffed with potato masala on the inside, this is best served with coconut chutney and sambar.
Idli (Parboiled) Rice – 2 cups
Fenugreek Seeds – 2 tsp
Urad Dal – 1/2 cup
Aval (Poha) – 1/4 cup
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Rava – 1 cup
Sugar – 1/2 tsp
Salt as per taste
Oil as required
Onion Chutney (or Garlic Red Chilli Chutney) as required (recipe here)
For the Potato Masala:
Potatoes – 2 to 3 cups, boiled, slightly mashed
Onions – 2 cups, finely chopped
Green Peas – 1/2 cup, shelled, boiled (optional)
Green Chillies – 2, finely chopped
Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/4 tsp
Curry Leaves – few
Salt as per taste
Asafoetida Powder – a pinch
Oil – 2 to 3 tblsp
Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
Coriander Leaves – handful, chopped
1. Combine and soak the rice, fenugreek seeds and urad dal for 4 hours.
2. Separately soak the aval for 1 hour.
3. Drain well.
4. Grind the aval first and then add the rice mixture.
5. Grind to a smooth batter.
6. Add salt and keep aside for 12 hours to ferment.
7. Add sugar, rava, turmeric powder and mix well.
8. To make the potato masala, heat oil in a pan.
9. Add the mustard seeds, curry leaves and asafoetida powder.
10. Fry for 30 seconds.
11. Add the onions and saute for a minute or two.
12. Add the peas, potatoes, green chillies, ginger garlic paste and mix well.
13. Cook for a minute.
14. Add cumin powder, turmeric powder, salt and stir well.
15. After another minute, add coriander leaves and remove from flame.
16. Heat a nonstick tawa over medium flame.
17. Pour a ladleful of the batter and spread well to make a thin dosa.
18. Add oil around the edges and cover with a lid for a minute.
19. Add 1 or 2 tblsp of the onion chutney to the centre and spread evenly.
20. Add 2 to 3 tblsp of the potato masala and fold the dosa into a triangle.
21. Cook for 30 seconds and remove.
22. Serve hot with coconut chutney and sambar.