Get ready to tantalize your taste buds with Grilled Mexican Corn. This mouthwatering dish combines the natural sweetness of corn with a fiery kick of spices and a zesty lime twist. This famous street food, also known as Elote, is a special Mexican delight that will transport you to the vibrant streets of Mexico City.
Imagine sinking your teeth into juicy corn on the cob, perfectly charred on the grill, slathered with a creamy and tangy sauce made from mayonnaise, sour cream, and a hint of lime juice. The corn is then generously dusted with smoky paprika, chilli powder, and crumbled cotija cheese, creating a symphony of flavours that will leave you craving more.
Grilled Mexican corn is a delicious treat and a visual feast. The vibrant yellow corn, adorned with colourful toppings, is a sight. It’s a perfect dish to serve at summer barbecues, picnics, or as a side for your Mexican-themed fiestas.
Grilled Mexican Corn
- 3 to 4 Corn Ears
- 1/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- 1/3 cup Parmesan Cheese grated
- as per taste Red Chilli Flakes
- 3 to 4 Lime Wedges
- as per taste Salt as per taste
- as per taste Black Pepper Powder
- for brushing Butter or Oil
- as per taste Red Chilli Powder
- Wooden Skewers soaked in water for 30 minutes
- Insert a skewer into each corn ear and keep aside.
- Mix the mayo and sour cream in a bowl.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Brush the corn ears with oil and sprinkle red chilli powder.
- Cook the corns on a preheated grill or over open flame for about 5 to 6 minutes, turning from time to time so that they cook evenly.
- Remove and brush with the sour cream mixture.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese, red chilli flakes and red chilli powder on top.
- Serve at once with lime wedges by the side.
Frequently Asked Questions about Grilled Mexican Corn
How do I grill the corn for the recipe?
To grill the corn for Grilled Mexican Corn:
- Start by preheating your grill to medium-high heat.
- Remove the husks and silk from the corn, and brush each ear with a light coating of olive oil.
- Place the corn directly on the grill and cook for about 10-15 minutes, turning occasionally, until the corn is lightly charred and tender.
The grilling process enhances the natural sweetness of the corn and adds a delicious smoky flavour to the dish.
Can I make Grilled Mexican Corn without a grill?
Yes, you can still enjoy the flavours of Grilled Mexican Corn even if you don’t have a grill. An alternative method is to cook the corn on a stovetop grill pan or in a cast-iron skillet. Heat the pan over medium-high heat, brush the corn with oil, and cook it for about 10-15 minutes, turning occasionally, until it is charred and tender. While you may miss out on the smoky grill flavour, you can still achieve delicious results.
How can I adjust the spiciness level of the recipe?
Suppose you prefer your Grilled Mexican Corn to be milder or spicier. In that case, you can easily adjust the spiciness level by modifying the chilli powder or adding/substituting different spices. To make it milder, reduce the chilli powder or omit it altogether. If you want more heat, increase the chilli powder quantity or add a pinch of cayenne pepper for an extra kick. Remember, the level of spiciness is a personal preference, so feel free to customize it according to your taste.
What are some suitable pairings or dishes to serve with Grilled Mexican Corn?
Grilled Mexican Corn pairs well with a variety of dishes. It makes a fantastic side dish for grilled meats like steak, chicken, or shrimp. You can also serve it alongside other Mexican-inspired dishes, such as tacos, enchiladas, or quesadillas. Combining the smoky corn, creamy sauce, and flavorful spices creates a delightful contrast that complements many different flavours. Additionally, you can serve it as part of a barbecue spread, alongside fresh salads, or even as a unique topping for burgers. Let your creativity guide you in finding the perfect pairings to accompany this delicious grilled treat.