Piri Piri Prawns is a popular starter snack ideal for a summer barbecue. Piri Piri (or Peri Peri) is a fiery sauce from Portugal that is fast becoming a must have across the globe.
This is a very quick and tasty dish ideal for lunch or a light weekday dinner. A perfect meal that is best served with a cold beverage of choice.
Piri Piri Prawns Recipe
Ingredients for Piri Piri Prawns
- 250 g Prawns peeled, heads and tails left intact
- 2 1/2 tblsp Olive Oil
- 2 tblsp Coriander Leaves chopped, plus additional 1 tsp
- 2 tblsp Parsley Leaves
- 1/2 Juice and Zest of Lemon
- 4 Green or Red Chillies
- 2 Garlic coarsely chopped
- 3/4 inch Ginger coarsely chopped
- Lemon Wedges to serve
- Wooden Skewers soaked in water for 30 minutes
How to make Piri Piri Prawns
- Combine the oil, 2 tblsp coriander leaves, parsley, lemon juice and zest, chillies, ginger and garlic in a blender.
- Blend to a smooth paste.
- Add 1/2 of the paste to a bowl and add the prawns.
- Gently mix well and marinate for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Skewer the prawns and cook on a preheated grill for 2 minutes on each side.
- Brush with the remaining paste and cook until done.
- Remove and transfer to a plate.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve with the lemon wedges on the side and any remaining paste in a cup.
Instead of parsley, you can also use basil leaves.