Ginger – a big piece
Tamarind – lime sized ball
Red Chilli – 8-10 nos
Coriander seeds – 2 tbsp
Red gram dal – 1tbsp
Black pepper – 1tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Salt – to taste
Mustard – to season
Sesame oil – 6 tbsp
Asafoetida – a small piece
1. Wash, peel & chop the ginger into small pieces.
2. Soak tamarind in water, boil if necessary and extract the puree.
3. Fry the red chilli, coriander seeds, red gram dal, black pepper and half the quantity of ginger in oil.
4. Grind the fried ingredients to a fine paste.
5. Place a heavy bottomed pan on the range and add oil.
6. When oil is heated, add mustard, asafoetida and the remaining ginger and fry well.
7. Add tamarind puree, turmeric powder, salt and mix well.
8. When the mixture starts boiling, add the prepared paste and mix well.
9. Allow to simmer till the mixture attains a thick – gravy consistency or till it reduces to one-third its original quantity.
10. Remove from fire, add 2 tbsp of oil and serve with rice.