3 tbsps vegetable oil
1 med onion — peeled and chopped
1 1″ piece fresh ginger — peeled and slivered
4 cloves garlic — peeled and chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tsps ground coriander
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 med potatoes, peeled — cut in 1/3″ cubes
1/2 lb cauliflower florets
1 1/4 qts chicken stock
2/3 c heavy cream
salt if needed
1. Set the oil over medium-high heat in a good-sized saucepan.
2. When hot, put in onion, ginger and garlic.
3. Stir-fry for about 4 minutes or onion is somewhat browned.
4. Put in cumin, coriander, turmeric, and cayenne.
5. Stir once, put in potato, cauliflower and chicken stock.
6. Stir and bring to boil.
7. Cover and turn heat to low;
8. Simmer gently for 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
9. Put soup into a blender and blend or use a hand blender to purée.
10. Add cream and reheat gently.