The banana plant is maybe the only one where all of its parts are put to use. Apart from the common fruit, the raw version, stem, leaves and even the flower is used in Indian cooking. Banana flower or Vazhaipoo (as it is known in Tamil) is extremely nutritious. Cleaning the inner parts of the flower takes a bit of time, but once done, it can be turned into a yummy dish like Vazhaipoo Poriyal, Vazhaipoo Usli and the most popular Vazhaipoo Vadai.
The vadai version is made with lentils, spices and fried in oil. It is quite easy to make as well and finds its way into many auspicious occasions, especially those where onions are not allowed.
A tasty and delicious snack made with banana flower. Best served with chutney or sauce.
Ingredients for Vazhaipoo Vadai
- 1 Cup Bengal Gram Soaked
- 1/2 Cup Vazhaipoo (Banana Flower) finely chopped, soaked in little buttermilk for 10 minutes
- 2 tbsp Onions finely chopped
- 2 tsp Garlic finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp Ginger finely chopped or grated
- 1/4 tsp Saunf
- Asafoetida Powder a pinch
- 2 tsp Mint Leaves
- 2 tsp Coriander Leaves
- Curry Leaves few
- Oil for frying
- Salt as per taste
How to make Vazhaipoo Vadai
- Coarsely grind the soaked Bengal gram.
- Combine all ingredients, except oil, in a bowl.
- Mix well, adding a little water if required, to a thick dough.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
- Make small balls and flatten them to a vada shape.
- Deep fry in hot oil until golden brown.
- Remove and drain excess oil.
- Serve hot with chutney of choice.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !