Bitter gourds – 2
Chopped Onion (Opt) – 1
Garlic (Opt) – 2
Large tomato – 1
Salt to taste
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Fry in 2 tsp oil and grind to paste :
Coriander seeds – 1 tbsp
Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
Red chilles – 4
Coconut gratings – 2 tbsp
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Onion chopped – 1
Oil – 3-4 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – 2 sprig
1. Wash gourds, slit , remove, seeds, cut into slices.
2. Heat oil, add seasonings and when done, add onions and garlic, fry till they turn brown.
3. Add tomatoes, fry till soft. Add turmeric powder, gourd pieces and continue to fry for a while adding some more oil, if necessary.
4. Add salt, water (about a cup), cover and cook on sim till done.
5. Add ground paste, mix thoroughly, simmer for a while, tilla thick gravy is formed.
If you desire to remove the bitterness of the gourds by following this steps :
After slicing, sprinkle some salt and turmeric powder, mix, set aside for half an hour. then squeeze the pieces, remove the bitter juice, discard. Wash the gourd pieces 1-2 times in fresh water, Squeeze dry and then follow step 2 onwards.