Rice flour – 2 cups
Blackgram dal flour- 1/4 cup
Butter or ghee – 4 tbsp
A large pinch of asafoetida powder
chilly powder – 1- 11/2 tsp
Sesame seeds – 1 tsp
cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil for frying
1. Take the required quantity of rice flour and black gram dal flour and fry lightly (while still moist) on very low flame, till flour gets just warm. It should not change colour or get fried. Remove , put the flour into the mixing bowl.
2. Add all other ingredients to the mixing bowl, except oil for frying. Mix the ingredients, gradually adding water to make a soft dough.
3. Take a clean piece of cloth, spread it on a plank. Take a little of the dough and make marble sized balls and leave on the cloth.
4. Heat oil and fry a handful of balls at a time till golden brown.Stir the oil all the time so that the balls (cheedais) get fried evenly. Remove from the oil. Set aside.
5. Cool thoroghly and store.