Betel Leaves – 18
Pork or Beef Mince – 400 gms
Spring Onions – 2, finely chopped
Garlic Cloves – 2, finely chopped
Lemongrass – 1 1/4 inch piece, very finely chopped
Peanut or Vegetable Oil – 3 tblsp
Fish Sauce – 3 tsp
Salt as per taste
Sugar – a large pinch
Roasted Peanuts – 1 1/2 tblsp, finely chopped
1. Cover the betel leaves with boiling water and drain.
2. Trim out the hard central rib and keep them aside.
3. Mix the meat, onions, garlic and lemongrass in a bowl.
4. Heat 1 1/2 tblsp of oil in a pan over high heat.
5. Stir-fry the mixture until well browned.
6. Add fish sauce, salt, peanuts and sugar.
7. Roll a portion of the mixture in each leaf, folding in the ends and sides.
8. Secure with toothpicks or skewer them on bamboo skewers.
9. Brush with oil and brown on a hot grill until the leaf is browned and slightly crisp.
10. Serve with peanut dipping sauce.