Chicken – 1, medium
Onions – 6, finely sliced (keep the outer ring and skin of half an onion)
Saffron – a large pinch, soaked in 1 tblsp milk
Ginger – 1 tsp, ground
Garlic – 1 1/2 tsp, ground
Mint Leaves – 2 tblsp, ground
Coriander – 2 tblsp, chopped
Green Chillies – 4, ground
Ground Red Chillies – 1 1/2 tsp
Curd – 3 cups
Powdered Cardamoms – 6
Powdered Cloves – 6
Cinnamon – 2 one inch sticks, powdered
Salt as per taste
A piece of Charcoal
Mint Sprigs – few
1. Heat 3 tblsp of oil in a pan.
2. Fry onions to dark brown.
3. Drain oil.
4. Keep aside a handful of fried onions and saffron.
5. Rub the rest of the ingredients on the chicken.
6. Leave in the fridge overnight.
7. Remove and keep at room temperature for 1 hour.
8. Add saffron.
9. Place chicken in an oven-proof dish and bake in a preheated oven at 400F/270C for 45 minutes.
10. Before serving, light a piece of charcoal.
11. Put the half-onion with skin inside the dish with oil in it.
12. Using tongs, put a burning piece of charcoal in the oil.
13. Cover the dish quickly.
14. Before serving remove the charcoal and spread oil over chicken.
15. Garnish with fried onions and mint sprigs.
16. Serve hot with roti.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !