Tomatoes – 1 kg
Besan Flour – 2 tblsp
Fenugreek Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Red Chilli Powder – 2 tsp
Ghee – 2 tblsp
Corn Cobs – 2, cut into 3 inch pieces
Curry Leaves – 10
For the Tempering:
Oil – 2 tblsp
Green Garlic – 3 tblsp, chopped
1. Cut the tomatoes into halves removing the eyes.
2. Boil the tomato halves in a pressure cooker with half cup of water.
3. Cook till the tomatoes are just tender.
4. Allow these to cool completely.
5. Then blend the tomatoes in a mixer and strain the pulp through a strainer removing the seeds.
6. Heat oil in a thick bottomed kadhai.
7. Add the besan flour and fry for 2 to 3 minutes till a fine aroma rises.
8. Mix in the fenugreek seeds.
9. Once the besan begins to change colour into light golden brown, add 1 cup of water and blend well to form a mixture.
10. Cook over low heat stirring from time to time.
11. Mix in the tomato paste.
12. Mix the chilli powder in 2 tbsp water and add to the tomato and besan mix.
13. Stir and mix gently and lower the heat.
14. Add 5 to 7 cups of water and bring to boil.
15. Add the curry leaves and boil the kadhi.
16. Now, mix in the corn cob pieces.
17. Continue to stir and cook the kadhi on low fire.
18. Let it boil on very low fire for at least 20 to 25 minutes.
19. Once the kadhi has reached the desired consistency turn off the heat.
20. Heat oil for tempering, add the green garlic pices.
21. Fry till the garlic turns golden brown colour.
22. Add the tempering over the prepared kadhi.
23. Serve hot with plain rice.