A simple, delicious South Indian side dish with Broad Beans (Avarakkai). Best served with cooked rice, sambar and rasam. Can also be served as a side dish to roti/chapati.
Avarakkai (Broad Beans) – 1/2 cup, washed, chopped
Onion – 1, medium, chopped
Turmeric Powder – a pinch
Salt as per taste
Coconut – 5 tsp, grated
Tomato – 1, small
Coriander Leaves – handful, chopped
Saunf – 1/2 tsp
Green Chilli – 1
Roasted Gram – 3 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Urad Dal – 1/2 tsp
Oil – little
1. Steam cook or pressure cook the avarakkais until half done.
2. Heat little oil in a pan.
3. Fry the mustard seeds and urad dal for 20 seconds.
4. Add the chopped onions and saute for a minute or two.
5. Add the ground paste and avarakkais.
6. Stir well.
7. Add salt and turmeric powder.
8. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes.
9. Serve hot with rice.