- Wheat Flour – 1 cup
- Jackfruit – 1/2 cup, finely chopped and ripe
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Jaggery – 3/4 cup, grated
- Cardamom Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Oil and Ghee – Mixed together for frying
- Cook jackfruit in 1/2 cup of water until soft and then mash it properly.
- Add jaggery. Allow to melt and remove from fire.
- Add salt, cardamom powder, wheat flour and mix well.
- Allow to cool. Sprinkle water if necessary and knead the dough well.
- Prepare small balls.
- Flatten it with hands over a greased plastic sheet.
- Heat oil/ghee in a small kadai.
- Dip the appam in the centre of the oil.
- When it comes up gently turn over.
- Remove when it is still soft. Do not allow the appam to become crisp.
- After deep frying spread the appams over kitchen paper to remove excess oil.
- Arrange on a flat plate side by side.
- Allow to cool and then store it in an air-tight container.