Vattayappam is a traditional Kerala breakfast / tea time dish made out of rice flour, coconut milk, and jaggery.
It is usually served with grated coconut sprinkled on top and accompanied with a small amount of ghee. The dish is also served with a small bowl of kadala curry or chutney.
- 250 g Rice Flour fine
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Warm Water
- 1/2 tsp Yeast
- 1/2 cup Semolina
- 1 1 1/2 cup Water
- 1 cup Coconut grated and ground to a paste
- 3/4 cup Coconut Milk
- as per taste Salt
- few Raisins
- Dissolve 1 tsp sugar in warm water and sprinkle yeast in it. Keep aside.
- Cook semolina with water to make a gruel. Allow it to cool.
- Combine the flour, yeast and gruel to make a dough.
- Set aside to rise for 6 hours.
- Add the ground coconut paste and dilute the dough with the coconut milk.
- Add salt and allow it to rise for 6 hours.
- Pour into a 8 inch diameter greased mold.
- Place some raisins on top and steam in a pressure cooker without placing the weight.
- Cook for 15 minutes.
- Cut into wedges and serve.