Brinjals – 1/4 kg
Potatoes – 2 medium
Garlic – 6 cloves, minced
Ginger – 1 inch piece, minced
Mustard Oil – 2 tblsp
Bay Leaves – 2
Panchforon (bengali 5 spice) – 2 tsp (Mix together 2 tsp each aniseeds, onion seeds, mustard seeds, cumin seeds and 1/2 tsp of fenugreek seeds)
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
Sugar – 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
1. Cut brinjals into medium size pieces.
2. Peel potato and cut into cubes.
3. Heat oil to smoking point, cool a little, then add bay leaves, red chilli pieces and panchforon.
4. When done, add minced ginger and garlic, fry till garlic is browned, add potatoes, stir fry.
5. When potatoes are slightly soft, add brinjals and turmeric powder, keep frying on low heat adding chilli powder after a while.
6. Add salt and sugar, sprinkle some water, cover and cook on low heat till vegetables are done.
7. Remove lid and fry a little longer till dry.
8. Serve hot with rice.