Beetroot – 1 large
Carrot – 1, medium
Ghee – 2 tblsp
Coconut – 1 cup, grated
Pepper Powder – 1 tsp
Chilli Powder – 1 tsp, optional
Mustard Powder – 1 tsp
Rice Flour – 1 tsp
Sugar – 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Grind to a Paste:
Onion – 1 medium, minced
Green Chillies – 3
Ginger – 1/2 inch piece
Coriander Leaves – a little, chopped
Juice of 1/2 Lemon
1. Boil beetroot and carrot, peel and cut into cubes.
2. Add 1/2 cup boiling water to coconut gratings and leave aside.
3. When sufficiently cool, pass through a liquidiser – the coconut should be ground to a very fine paste.
4. Squeeze gratings, take out the milk. Repeat to take out milk a second time.
5. Discard gratings and mix both the milks, add sugar, mustard and flour. Mix thoroughly and set aside.
6. Heat ghee, add minced green chillies, onion and ginger.
7. Fry till onions are browned.
8. Add the beetroot-carrot cubes, stir fry adding salt, pepper and chilli powders.
9. Add coconut mlk, chopped coriander leaves and simmer on low heat for a minute or two.
10. Remove from fire and add lemon juice.
11. Serve immediately with pulao.