Mutton – 1/2 kg, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
Onions – 2, finely sliced
Salt – 1 1/2 tsp
Sweet Potato – 1 kg
Sugar – 300 gms
Cardamoms – 2, peeled and crushed
Nutmeg Powder – 1/4 tsp
Vegetable Oil as needed
Cinnamon Stick – 4 inch piece, broken into 2 or 3 pieces
Grind to a paste:
Garlic – 6 cloves
Fresh Ginger Root – 3/4 inch piece
1. Heat 4 tblsp oil in a pan and fry onion in it till brown. Drain excess oil.
2. To the onion add garlic and ginger paste and blend well. Cook 3 minutes adding 1 tblsp water if mixture sticks to bottom of pan.
3. Add meat, blend well and cook till water from meat has dried up.
4. Add 3 1/2 cups water, cinnamon stick and salt, bring to the boil, then lower heat and cook, covered, till meat is cooked and tender. Or pressure cook meat with 1 cup water.
5. Boil sweet potatoes, cool slightly, then peel and slice into 1/2 inch thick rounds.
6. In a deep frying pan pour oil and heat.
7. Fry slices of sweet potato in it till golden brown on both sides. Remove and keep aside.
8. For the sugar syrup, put sugar with 1 cup water in a pan and cook to make thin sugar syrup.
9. To test, put a drop of syrup in a plate and let it cool slightly.
10. Take it up on a finger then press between thumb and finger.
11. Separate thumb and finger gently and see that there is one “strand” of the syrup between them.
12. Add slices of sweet potato to syrup and cook on low heat till sweet potato has absorbed enough syrup to become soft.
13. Sprinkle cardamom and nutmeg powder.
14. To serve, place meat in centre of platter surrounded by sweet potato or serve in separate dishes.