Mutton – 1/4 kg, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
Onion – 1, finely sliced
Potatoes – 1/4 kg
Peas – 1/4 cup, shelled
Green Chillies – 2, slit
Cinnamon Stick – 2 inch piece
Salt – 2 tsp
Vegetable Oil – 2 tblsp
Extra Oil for frying potatoes
Grind to a powder:
Black Peppercorns – 2
Cardamom – 1, peeled
Grind to a paste:
Garlic – 6 cloves
Fresh Ginger Root – 3/4 inch piece
Onion – 1 medium
Cumin Seeds – 1/4 tsp
1. Peel potatoes and cut each potato into 4 pieces.
2. Heat 2 tblsp oil and fry sliced onion in it till brown. Drain excess oil.
3. Add the paste of garlic, ginger, onion and cumin seeds and blend well. Cook for 5 minutes.
4. Add meat and brown nicely and cook till water from meat has dried up.
5. Add potatoes, chillies, cinnamon stick, 1 cup water and 1 1/2 tsp salt.
6. Bring to the boil, then simmer, covered 20 minutes.
7. Add 3 more cups warm water and continue simmering.
8. When potatoes and cooked, remove them and keep aside.
9. Continue cooking meat till it is tender and 1 1/2 cups gravy remains. Or pressure cook meat till almost done. Then open cooker, add potatoes. Pressure cook again, till meat and potatoes are cooked.
10. Boil peas adding 1/2 tsp salt. Drain.
11. In a frying pan, heat oil and fry pieces of potato in it till they are nice and brown.
12. Return them to meat mixture and add the powdered spices and peas.
13. Heat everything together for 5 minutes and serve.