White Bread Flour – 4 cups, strong
Baking Powder – 1 tsp
Salt – 1/2 tsp
Dried Yeast – 1 sachet
Caster Sugar – 1 tsp
Fennel Seeds – 1 tsp
Onion Seeds – 2 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Hot Milk – 2/3 cup
Oil – 2 tblsp, plus extra for brushing
Plain Yogurt – 2/3 cup
Egg – 1, beaten
1. Stir in the flour, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl.
2. Stir in the yeast, sugar, fennel seeds, onion seeds and cumin seeds.
3. Make a well in the centre. Stir the hot milk into the flour mixture, then add the oil, yogurt and beaten egg.
4. Mix to form a ball of dough.
5. Tip the dough out on to a lightly floured surgace and knead it for 10 minutes until smooth.
6. Return to the clean, lightly oiled bowl and roll the dough to coat it with oil.
7. Cover the bowl with clear film and set aside in a warm place until the dough has doubled in bulk.
8. Put a heavy baking sheet in the oven and preheat the oven to 240C. Preheat the grill also.
9. Knead the dough again lightly and divide it into six pieces.
10. Keep fives pieces covered while working with the sixth. Quickly roll the piece of dough out to a teardrop shape, brush lightly with oil and slap the naan on to the hot baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough.
11. Bake the naan in the oven for 3 minutes until puffed up, then place the baking sheets under the grill for about 30 seconds or until the naan are lightly browned.
12. Serve hot.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !