Large Okra (Bhindi) – 225 gms
Mango Powder (Amchoor) – 1 tblsp
Ground Ginger – 1/2 tsp
Ground Cumin – 1/2 tsp
Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp (optional)
Turmeric – 1/2 tsp
Vegetable Oil – a few drops
Cornflour – 2 tblsp, placed in a plastic bag
Vegetable Oil – for frying
1. Wash the okra and dry. Carefully trim off the tops without making a hole. Using a sharp knife, make a slit lengthways in the centre of each okra but do not cut all the way through.
2. In a bowl, mix the mango powder, ginger, cumin, chilli, turmeric and salt with a few drops of oil. Leave the mixture to rest for 1-2 hours.
3. Using your fingers, part the slit of each okra carefully and fill each with as much of the spice filling as possible.
4. Put all the okra into the plastic bag with the cornflour and shake the bag carefully to coat the okra evenly.
5. Fill a frying pan with enough oil and heat it.
6. Fry the okra in small batches for about 5-8 minutes or until they are brown and slightly crisp.
7. Serve hot.