Eggplants (Brinjals) – 2, medium
Oil – 1 tblsp, plus extra for brushing
Onion – 1 medium, sliced
Fresh Ginger – 1 tsp, shredded
Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
Garlic – 1 tsp, crushed
Turmeric – 1/4 tsp, ground
Salt – 1 tsp
Coriander – 1 tsp, ground
Tomato – 1, medium, chopped
Lean Leg of Lamb – 350 gms, minced
Green Pepper – 1, medium, seeded and roughly chopped
Orange Pepper – 1, medium, seeded and roughly chopped
Fresh Coriander – 2 tblsp, chopped
Plain Rice – to serve
Onion – 1/2, sliced
Cherry Tomatoes – 2, quartered
1. Cut the brinjals in half lengthways and scoop out and discard most of the flesh. Preheat the oven to 180C and place the brinjal shells cut side up in a lightly greased ovenproof dish.
2. In a medium heavy pan, heat the oil and fry the onion until golden brown. Gradually stir in the ginger, chilli powder, garlic, turmeric, salt and ground coriander. Add the chopped tomato, lower the heat and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Add the minced lamb and cook for 7-10 minutes more.
4. Add the chopped peppers and coriander to the lamb mixture and stir well.
5. Spoon the lamb mixture into the brinjal shells and brush the edge of the shells with a little oil. Bake in the oven for 1 hour or until cooked through and browned on top.
6. Serve with the garnish ingredients on a bed of plain rice.