2 large ripe mangos, or 4 small ones
Ghee – 1 1/2 tbsp
Whole Dry Red Chillies – 4
Saunf – 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek – 1/2 tsp
Onion Seed – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric – 1/4 tsp
Sugar – 1 tbsp
1. Peel mangos and cut each cheek away from the stone.
2. Cut the cheeks into large pieces, about 2 inches by 1 inch.
3. Heat ghee and saute red chillies.
4. Add saunf, fenugreek and onion seeds.
5. After a few seconds stir in mango pieces and stones.
6. Add turmeric and stir gently.
7. Meanwhile boil 2 cups of water. Add to cooking mangos and simmer till mangos are cooked through but not mushy.
8. Taste and add sugar.
Note:- To cut down on ghee, use less, about a teaspoon, and sauté the spices. Mango tends to stick, so add boiling water first and then the pieces of mango. Simmer till the mango is cooked through.