Keto Chocolate Muffin is a heaven send for those of us following the Keto or a low carb diet. Followers of this diet avoid grains in all forms and hence any item made with regular flour or any other grain flour for that matter is completely out of question.
This is where culinary genius comes into play. For all the gluten free and low carbohydrates lovers out there, the best flour for you is Almond Flour. By adding a couple of ingredients like eggs, it’s very easy to make almond flour behave similarly to wheat or gluten based flour. Moreover, as sugar and other sweet substances like jaggery, palm or coconut sugar are also out of consideration, because of their high carbohydrate and glycemic index levels, we use natural sweeteners like Stevia or Erythritol (which is an extract from fruits), that contain zero calories and do not pose any danger to insulin levels.
I’ve made this Keto Chocolate muffin using almond flour as a base along with another critical element – Psyllium Husk – a naturally occurring fibre that is excellent for digestion and also provides the spongy texture to this muffin. The outcome is just so brilliant that even non-keto folks were unable to tell the difference in taste. The best part is that this muffin is also well suited for a diabetic person. So, without much jabber, let’s directly go to the recipe.
Makes – 6 muffins
Keto Chocolate Muffin
Ingredients for Keto Chocolate Muffin
- 75 gms Almond Flour or Almond Meal
- 3 Eggs
- 20 gms Unsalted Butter
- 20 gms Psyllium Husk
- 65 gms Erythritol
- 15 ml Vanilla Essence 1 tbsp + 1 tsp
- 10 gms Unsweetened Cocoa powder 2 tbsp
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp Baking Powder - 1 tsp
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- Himalayan Pink Salt a pinch
How to make Keto Chocolate Muffin
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Line a muffin tray with paper liners or parchment sheets.
- In a broad vessel, take the almond flour, psyllium husk, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt and mix them together.
- In another broad vessel, break the eggs, add erythritol, vanilla essence and melted butter.
- Whisk the above thoroughly so that all ingredients are mixed and looks creamy.
- Pour the egg mixture into the dry flour.
- Fold the wet and dry mixture well so that they are well incorporated.
- Spoon this batter into the readied muffin tray.
- Place it in the oven and bake for 18-20 minutes at 180 C.
- Run a sharp knife or toothpick in the muffin to check if done. It should come out smooth.
- Take it out of the oven, allow it to cool for 10 min and transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve chilled or warm.