Gulab Jamun is a very popular sweet across India. Come festival season, all the sweet shops will be full of variations of Gulab Jamuns – Paneer Jamun to Chocolate Jamun to Kala Jamun. This variation is made with sweet potatoes and is yummy as the original one. The recipe is simple and easy to prepare.
- Sweet potato – 1 cup
- Maida – 1 tblsp
- Pista – 5
- Oil for deep frying
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Cardamon Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Wash the sweet potatoes thoroughly.
- Pressure cook them with required water for 4 to 5 whistles.
- Let it cool down completely.
- Peel the outer skin and mash them.
- Make sure no lumps or chunks formed.
- Take a bowl, add the mashed sweet potatoes and maida together.
- Knead them together to form dough.
- Make small balls using the mixture.
- Place one pista in the middle and cover them by making a ball shape again.
- Follow the same way for remaining dough and cover them with a wet cloth.
- Add sugar to a pan and place it over medium flame.
- Add enough water (until all sugar has submerged) and stir well.
- When the sugar has fully dissolved and it reaches a one string consistency, switch off the flame.
- Heat oil in a frying pan.
- Deep fry the prepared balls until golden brown.
- Remove and put them into the sugar syrup.
- Allow it to soak for 6 to 8 hours (or overnight) before serving.
- Serve chilled.