Fish – 600 gms, flaked ikan kembong
Tamarind – 50 gms, strained
Daun kesom or polygonum – 3 to 4 stalks
Water – 4 litres
Sugar as per taste
Salt as per taste
Belacan granules – 1 tsp
Lemon grass – 2 stalks
Dried chillies – 10
Fresh chillies – 10
Lengkuas – 1.5 cm
Fresh turmeric – 1/2 cm piece
1. Grind the tastemakers together and make a smooth paste.
2. Add tamarind in a little water and strain.
3. Add the spice paste and daun kesom to the tamarind water and boil.
4. Add salt and sugar to the mixture and cook for another 20 minutes.
5. Before removing from fire, add the flaked fishes and stir well.
6. The stock is ready to serve with laksa noodles.
7. Garnish the plate of noodles with this broth, lettuce, shredded cucumbers, pineapples big onions, fresh chillies, mint leaves. Sprinkle some finely sliced ginger buds and one tbsp of shrimp paste.