This is a delicious and simple South Indian kootu made with 3 different vegetables – Yellow Pumpkin, White Pumpkin and Bottle Gourd. Typically kootu is made using only one vegetable. Serve this with hot rice and a side dish of choice.
- Yellow Pumpkin (Parangikai) – 1/2 cup
- White Pumpkin (Poosanikai) – 1/2 cup
- Bottle Gourd (Surakai) – 1/2 cup
- Toor Dal – 50 gms
- Moong Dal – 50 gms
- Bengal Gram Dal – 50 gms
- Onions – 1/2 cup, finely chopped
- Tomatoes – 2, finely chopped
- Curry Leaves – few
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida Powder – a pinch
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 2 tblsp
- Coconut – 1/4 cup, grated
- Jeera – 2 tblsp
- Green Chillies – 3
- Fennel Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Peel the outer skin of the pumpkins and bottle gourd. Deseed and finely chop.
- Grind the coconut, jeera, green chillies and feenel seeds with little water to a thick paste.
- Soak the dals in water for 30 minutes.
- Take a pressure cooker and cook the dals, vegetables,salt, turmeric powder by adding the required water.
- Allow them to cool for a while.
- Take a pan and heat the oil in a medium flame.
- When the oil is heated up, add the mustard seeds, curry leaves and asafoetida.
- WHen the mustard seeds is splattered, add the chopped onions and tomatoes.
- Saute for a minute or until the onions turn brown.
- Add the grinded paste, cooked vegetables and dal to it and mix well.
- Add red cilli powder, turmeric powder, and salt.
- Pour little water and cover with a lid.
- Cook for 5 minutes and remove from flame.
- Serve hot with rice.