Goan Shrimp Curry is a traditional dish from the coastal state of Goa. A delicious and tangy curry cooked to perfection with fresh coconut, ginger, garlic and spices, it is served with steamed rice.
A typical recipe from the Goan cuisine, this dish is very popular not just in Goa but all over the country and abroad.
Serve it with rice, roti or naan.
Goan Shrimp Curry Recipe
Ingredients for Goan Shrimp Curry
- 10 Shrimps peeled and deveined
- 1 Onion small, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Coconut grated
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 3 tsp Coriander Seeds
- 3 Dry Red Chillies
- 1 inch Ginger chopped
- 7 to 8 Garlic Cloves chopped
- 3 tsp Tamarind Extract
- 3 tsp Oil
- 1 Green Chilli slit
- 1 1/2 tsp Vinegar
- 3/4 tsp Sea Salt
How to make Goan Shrimp Curry
- Wash and drain the shrimps.
- Add little salt and keep them aside for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Dry roast the cumin seeds, red chillies and coriander seeds for 5 minutes over medium flame.
- Remove and keep aside to cool.
- Once cooled, combine the roasted spices, grated coconut, ginger, garlic, tamarind extract and 100 ml of water in a mixer.
- Grind to a fine paste.
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan over medium flame.
- Add the onions and saute until golden brown.
- Add the green chilli and little salt.
- Cook for 2 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Add the ground paste and 150 ml of water. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and add the shrimps.
- Simmer for 5 minutes or until the shrimps are cooked.
- Add the vinegar and stir well.
- Remove and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.