Chicken – 1, whole
For Spice potli
Fine cloth – 1
Saunf – 2 tbsp
Cinnamon stick – 3 inch piece, broken in half
Cloves – 8
Black cardamom – 5, cracked open
Black peppercorn – 10
Bay leaf – 2
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Coriander seeds – 2 tsp
Ghee – 3 tbsp
Water – 4 cups
Ghee – 3 tbsp
Onions – 3/4 cup, finely chopped
Garlic – 1 tbsp, minced
Ginger – 1 inch piece, finely chopped
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Salt as per taste
Cayenne pepper powder as per taste
Dried fenugreek leaf – 1/2 tsp
Bengal gram powder – 2 tbsp
1. Clean the chicken and debone.
2. Cut flesh into 1 inch pieces. Set aside. Also break the bones into 2 inch long pieces.
3. Fold cloth in half. Put spices in the center. Gather edges and tie a string around it.
1. Heat ghee in a heavy bottomed pan.
2. Fry bones for 10 minutes.
3. Add water, chicken bones and spice potli in a pot. Bring water to a boil. Lower the heat. Cover and simmer on medium heat for 50 minutes. Turn off heat. Discard spice potli. Strain and remove bones. Set the shorba aside.
1. Heat ghee in a pan.
2. Add chicken flesh. Fry for 5 minutes. Remove browned chicken and keep aside.
3. Add onions and fry till brown.
4. Add garlic and ginger. Saute till a fine aroma is emitted.
5. Add turmeric powder, salt, cayenne powder and kasoori leaves.
6. Add browned chicken flesh. Saute for about 2 minutes.
7. Sprinkle bengal gram powder. Saute for about 2 minutes.
8. Add chicken shorba. Bring it to a boil. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or till chicken is soft.