A delicious, healthy and a different take on the usual pongal. Great for breakfast or dinner.
Raw Rice – 2 cups
Soya Chunks – 2 cups, skin peeled
Plain Milk – 1 cup
Cumin Seeds – 3 to 4 tsp
Black Peppercorns – 3 to 4 tsp
Ginger – 1 inch piece
Curry Leaves – few
Salt as per taste
Gingely Oil – 2 tblsp
1. Break the soya chunks to a small pieces.
2. Combine the soya and rice in a bowl.
3. Add milk and enough water (about 8 cups).
4. Pressure cook until 4 to 5 whistles.
5. Wait till the pressure has reduced.
6. Add some water to salt and add to the pongal.
7. Heat oil in a small pan.
8. Fry the curry leaves, cumin seeds, ginger and peppercorns for a minute.
9. Add this to the pongal and stir gently to mix.
10. Serve warm.