Kodo Millet (or Varagu) is a highly nutritious millet rich in dietary fiber, minerals and is a good substitute to rice or wheat. This cutlet made with vegetables and varagu is a healthy, delicious and easy to make appetizer/snack.
Varagarisi (Kodo Millet) – 1/2 cup
Potatoes – 2
Carrot – 1/2 cup, grated
Green Peas – 1/4 cup, shelled
Ginger Green Chilli Paste – 2 tsp
Garam Masala Powder – 1 tsp
Mint Leaves – few
Coriander Leaves – few
Oil as required
Salt as per taste
1. Mix varagarisi with 1 1/2 cups of water and pressure cook until 1 or 2 whistles or cooked.
2. Boil, peel and mash the potatoes.
3. If you are using fresh/shelled peas, boil them until tender. If you are using frozen, thaw them well. Mash well.
4. Combine the potatoes, green peas, varagarisi, ginger chilli paste, carrot, garam masala powder, salt, mint leaves and coriander leaves in a bowl.
5. Mix well.
6. Shape them into desired shapes.
7. Heat oil in a deep frying pan over medium flame.
8. Deep fry the prepared cutlets until golden brown.
9. Remove, drain excess oil and serve.