Arcot Makkan Peda is a popular dish from the Arcot district of Tamil Nadu. Similar to a Gulab Jamun, the makkan peda is a delicious dessert sweet made with khoya and plain flour with a stuffing of dry fruits.
Found in numerous sweet stalls across Tamil Nadu, it is said to be a recipe from the royal kitchens of the Arcot Nawabs.
This is a great dessert for any occasion or festival.
Arcot Makkan Peda Recipe
Ingredients for Arcot Makkan Peda
- 500 g Maida (Plain Flour)
- 2 tblsp Curd
- 2 tblsp Ghee
- 1/2 tsp Cooking Soda
- 500 g Unsweetened Khoya
- 500 g Sugar
- as required Oil
- as required Dry Fruits almonds, cashews, pistachios, raisins, walnuts
How to make Arcot Makkan Peda
- Heat ghee in a pan over medium flame.
- Add cooking soda, maida, khoya and curd.
- Mix well to a gulab jamun dough consistency (soft dough).
- Make small balls of the dough and shape them to a cup.
- Insert few pieces of the dry fruits into each cup and roll it into a ball again.
- In a separate pan, heat 3 to 4 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Add the sugar and stir well until fully dissolved.
- Keep stirring and simmer until it has an one-string consistency (thick, sticky but pourable consistency) and switch off the flame.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
- Deep fry the prepared balls until golden brown.
- Remove and transfer them to the sugar syrup.
- Keep aside for 10 to 15 minutes and serve.