3/4 cup tuvar dal
1 medium lime-sized ball of tamarind
2 green chillies, slit
250gms beetroot, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 tsp sambar powder
1 tsp salt or to taste
2 tsp oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
1/2 tsp asafoetida powder
1 dried red chilli, halved
1 sprig curry leaves
2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
1. Wash dal and drain. Place dal in a pressure cooker with 1 1/2 cups water and cook under pressure for 5 minutes.
2. Soak tamarind in 1 1/2 cups water for 10 minutes. Extract juice and discard pulp.
3. Combine tamarind juice, green chillies, beetroot, turmeric powder, sambar powder and salt in a pan. Place pan over high heat and bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer covered for 12-15 minutes till the raw aroma of tamarind disappears and beetroot is tender.
4. Mix in dal and simmer uncovered for 5-7 minutes stirring occasionally, till well blended.
5. Heat oil for tempering in a small pan over moderate heat. Add remaining ingredients for tempering in the order given. When mustard seeds splutter, stir contents of pan into sambar.
6. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with rice.