2 tbsp horse gram
2 tbsp red gram dal
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 small lemon size ball tamarind
2 tsp rasam powder
2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 tsp pepper, roughly powdered
salt to taste
1 tbsp chopped coriander
1 1/2 tsp oil or ghee
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
a large pinch of asafoetida
1-2 red chillies (broken into 2 pieces)
1-2 sprigs curry leaf
1. Clean and broil (dry roast) horsegram in a kadai. Remove, cool, powder fine in a mixi, set aside.
2. Boil red gram dal, mash thoroughly, set aside.
3. Boil tamarind in water, take out extract, set aside.
4. Heat oil/ghee, add seasonings and when done, add tamarind extract, rasam powder, salt and some water if necessary and set to boil. Simmer till the raw smell of tamarind is not there any longer.
5. When sufficiently boiled, add horsegram powder, cooked dal, crushed garlic and pepper, boil for a few more minutes.
6. When rasam starts to froth, add chopped coriander and remove from fire.
Serve hot with rice.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !