This is one of the oldest and commonest mutton curries made in north
india. A proper do-pyaaza has no gravy save that of ghee and masalas.
1. Wash and cut the meat into 5cm pieces.
2. Crush well half the onion, garlic and cumin. Grind red chillies to a paste.
3. Mix with salt and curd. Rub this curd mixture well into the meat and leave for half an hour.
4. Heat ghee and fry the remaining onion slices.
5. Add meat. Cover the pan and shake well.
6. Add lentils and enough water to cover them.
7. Cook over medium heat. Add crushed peppercorns and turmeric powder.
8. Simmer till all the water has evaporated and the meat has been cooked.
9. Garnish with coriander leaves.