1/4 kg, dry seer fish
1/2 kg brinjal
12 large curry chillies
10 -12 garlic cloves
1/4 kg red onions
15 red chillies
3 tbs coriander seeds
2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp fennel (sombu)
small piece cinnamon
a pinch of saffron
2 oz tamarind squeezed in a sufficient quantity of vinegar first and second milk of one coconut
1. Cut the brinjal in four lengthwise and rub the pieces with saffron and salt.
2. Wash the chillies and slit them down to one side.
3. Remove the seeds and soak them in salt water.
4. Wash the dry fish and cut it into 2 inch pieces.
5. Fry all the ingredients in coconut oil – first the dry fish, then the chillies, garlic, brinjals and red onions taking one lot of ingredients out before adding the next.
6. Mix all the curry stuffs with the coconut milk.
7. Add salt and tamarind to taste and put on to boil.
8. When boiling, add the fried ingredients and allow to simmer till the gravy is thick.
9. If desired, add a tablespoon of sugar and mix well just before serving.