A delicious South Indian snack made during special occasions or festivals. Can also be served as a side to rice dishes.
Raw Rice Flour – 125 gms
Urad Dal Flour – 2 tblsp
Black Sesame Seeds – 2 tsp
Onion – 1, small, finely chopped
Curry Leaves – few
Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp (adjust as needed)
Bengal Gram Dal – 1 to 2 tsp
Asafoetida Powder – 1/4 tsp
Oil for frying
Salt as per taste
1. Soak the bengal gram dal for 30 minutes.
2. Mix the rice flour and urad dal flour in a bowl.
3. Add enough water and mix well to a thick batter.
4. Drain the bengal gram dal and add to the batter.
5. Add the sesame seeds, onions, curry leaves, chilli powder, asafoetida powder and salt.
6. Mix well.
7. Heat oil in a deep frying pan over medium flame.
8. Pinch small portions of the batter and flatten them using a greased banana leaf or using the palm of your hands.
9. Gently add them to the hot oil.
10. Fry until golden brown.
11. Remove and drain excess oil.
12. Serve as a snack or as a side dish.