Aloo Gobi is a popular dry (sometimes semi dry) gravy made with potatoes and cauliflower cooked in spices. This is a great, delicious side dish for rotis, naan or rice items.
Potatoes – 2 to 3, peeled, chopped
Cauliflower – 1 large, chopped
Onions – 2, chopped
Green Peas – 1/4 cup (optional)
Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tblsp
Green Chillies – 6 to 8, finely chopped
Garam Masala Powder – 1 tblsp
Coriander Powder – 2 tsp
Red Chilli Powder – 2 tsp
Coriander Leaves – small handful, chopped
Oil – 1/3 cup
Asafoetida – 1 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1 tblsp
Salt as per taste
Turmeric Powder – 2 tsp
1. Heat oil ina pan over medium flame.
2. Add the cumin seeds, asafoetida and turmeric powder.
3. Fry for 30 seconds.
4. Add the onions and a pinch of salt.
5. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes or until the onions start to turn light brown.
6. Add ginger garlic paste, green chillies and stir well.
7. Add the potatoes and cook for 2 minutes or until tender.
8. Add the cauliflower, garam masala powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and salt.
9. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring from time to time to prevent sticking to the bottom.
10. Pour enough water (gradually) and stir well. Do not add too much water, about 1/2 to 3/4 cup should be fine.
11. Reduce flame to low and cover the pan with a lid.
12. Cook for 12 to 15 minutes, stirring from time to time.
13. Garnish with the coriander leaves and remove from flame.
14. Serve with rice, roti or naan.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !