Bhindi Masala is a spicy dish made from okra, tomatoes, onions and other spices. This dish originated in the Indian subcontinent and is popular in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Nepal.
The dish is typically cooked with a tomato-based sauce (in some places, tomato is optional) and seasoned with cumin seeds or ground cumin. The spices are generally fried for a few minutes before adding the okra to allow it to soak up the flavors of the spices. The dish can also be prepared by adding dry spices to boiling water before adding the okra.
Bhindi Masala can be served as an accompaniment to rice or eaten as a standalone side-dish along with roti or naan breads.
Bhindi Masala can be found in most Indian restaurants around the world.
Bhindi Masala Recipe
Ingredients for Bhindi Masala
- 250 g Bhindi (Okra) washed, dried with a dry cloth, chopped
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 Onion chopped
- 2 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1/2 tsp Green Chillies finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilil Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Coriander Powder
- as per taste Salt
- little Coriander Leaves to garnish
- 1 Tomato
- 1/2 tsp Dry Mango Powder
How to make Bhindi Masala
- Heat 1 tblsp oil in a pan over medium flame.
- Add the chopped bhindis and saute for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring all the time.
- Sprinkle a bit of dry mango powder, if using and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove and transfer to a bowl.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan.
- Fry the turmeric powder and cumin seeds for 20 seconds.
- Add the onions & tomatoes. Saute until onions turn light brown.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and green chillies.
- Cook for 30 to 45 seconds.
- Add the garam masala powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, salt and stir well.
- Add the reserved bhindis and cook for a minute or two. Sprinkle a little water if required.
- Remove and transfer to a serving bowl. Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve with rice, roti or naan.
You can add cinnamon(tej Patta)
simple n nice recipe.
easy to do