Kovakkai – 20, washed, cut lengthwise
Onion – 2, chopped
Tomato – 2, chopped
Sambar Powder – 2 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Oil – 8 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Bengal Gram Dal – 2 tsp
Urad Dal – 2 tsp
Jeera – 1 tsp
Asafoetida Powder – a pinch
Peanuts – 3 tblsp
Curry Leaves – few
Salt as per taste
1. Sprinkle a bit of salt and turmeric powder on the kovakkai pieces and keep aside for a few minutes.
2. Heat oil in a pan over medium flame.
3. Fry the mustard seeds till it starts to splutter.
4. Add the dals, jeera, asafoetida powder and curry leaves.
5. Fry till dals turn golden brown.
6. Add the onions and fry till light brown.
7. Add tomatoe and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
8. Now add the sambar powder, peanuts and turmeric powder.
9. Mix well.
10. Drain the water from kovakkai and squeeze dry.
11. Add to the pan and pour 1 cup of water.
12. Cover the pan with a lid and cook for a few minutes.
13. Keep stirring from time to time.
14. When all the water has been absorbed and the kovakkai is tender, remove to a serving bowl.