Paneer Makhanwala is a delicious, rich and tasty Punjabi style paneer in a creamy tomato gravy. Served as a side dish to roti, naan, biryani or pulao, this is a popular restaurant dish. This dish is a variation to the Paneer Makhani though the ingredients are quite similar. Some people call Paneer Makhanwala and Paneer Makhani as the same dish, however there are minor variations to both.
Paneer Makhanwala Recipe
Ingredients for Paneer Makhanwala
- 15 to 20 Paneer Cubes
- Butter as required
- Oil as required
For the masala:
- 20 to 25 Cashew Nuts - 20 to 25
- 2 tblsp Poppy Seeds (Gasagasa)
- 2 Onions finely chopped
- 5 to 6 Tomatoes depending on size, chopped
- 2 inch Cinnamon Sticks
- 2 Cardamoms
- 5 Cloves
- 2 tsp Coriander Seeds
- 1 bunch Coriander Leaves chopped
- handful Curry Leaves
- 1/4 cup Coconut grated
- 1 inch Ginger
- 8 to 10 Garlic Cloves
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- Salt as per taste
How to make Paneer Makhanwala
- Grind together all the ingredients for the masala to a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium flame.
- Fry the paneer cubes until light golden brown and remove.
- Heat butter in another pan.
- Add the ground masala and stir well for 30 to 60 seconds.
- Add the fried paneer pieces and stir.
- Cover with a lid and cook over low flame for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Remove from flame.
- Serve hot with pulao, roti or naan.