A delicacy from the Chettinad cuisine, this Prawn Pepper Masala is best served with rice, roti, pulao or naans.
Prawns – 250 gms, cleaned, deveined, washed
Onions – 1/4 cup, finely chopped
Green Chillies – 2, finely chopped
Ginger Garlic Paste – 3 tsp
Tomato – 1, finely chopped
Turmeric Powder – a pinch
Black Pepper Powder – 3 tsp
Coriander Leaves – handful, finely chopped
Salt as per taste
Oil – 2 tblsp
Cinnamon – 3/4 inch piece
Saunf – 1 tsp
Curry Leaves – few
1. Heat oil in a pan over medium flame.
2. Fry the cinnamon, saunf and curry leaves for 30 seconds.
3. Add the onions and saute until golden.
4. Add the ginger garlic paste and stir-fry for a minute.
5. Add the green chillies and tomatoes.
6. Stir well and cook for a minute more.
7. Add the prawns, turmeric powder and salt. Add 2 to 3 tblsp water if required.
8. Stir well.
9. When the gravy starts to thicken and prawns are cooked, sprinkle pepper powder and coriander leaves.
10. Remove from flame.
image via zmenu/shaan