Tandoor is cylindrical cooking equipment used for baking and cooking various food items. It gives a distinct smoky flavor to the dish. Various tandoori dishes are generally cooked in countries like Iran, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Balkans, Middle East, and Central Asia as well as India and Bangladesh.
Coal and wood are the ultimate sources of generating heat inside the Tandoor. Tandoori fish is one of the most appetizing dishes and is a perfect blend of aroma and flavors.
We all know that fish is very healthy for our body. It consists of high protein and low fat, omega-3, fatty acid, Vitamin D, Vitamin B2, calcium, phosphorus along with minerals like iron, zinc, iodine, potassium, and magnesium.
Even the secondary ingredients like, plain yogurt, tomato puree, garlic, ginger, green chilies, etc. add a unique flavor to this dish and improve its health benefit as well. Yogurt consists of high protein, improves digestive power, grows immune system, protect against osteoporosis and it is also beneficial in weight management.
Tomato is a rich source of antioxidant, lycopene, etc. which provide numerous health benefits to our body. It also reduces the risk of heart diseases. Tomato is the large source of potassium, folate along with vitamin C and vitamin K.
You will see this recipe in most of the Indian dhabas and restaurants that include Tandoor recipes on their menu. However, homemade Tandoori fish is the best since it is freshly made, crispy and toothsome at the same time.
The cooking of smoked recipes commenced in the Indian subcontinent many centuries ago but it gained prominence in the Mughal Era where many non-vegetarian dishes, naan, and many other dishes together in a huge Tandoor. Therefore, you can present a royal dish on your dining table by trying out this recipe at home.
Ingredients for Tandoori Fish
- 350 gms Fish Fillets cut into 3 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup Plain Yogurt
- 1 tsp Tomato Puree
- 1 tsp Tandoori Masala Powder
- 1 tblsp Garlic peeled
- 1 tblsp Ginger peeled
- 2 drops Red Food Colour optional
- 2 nos Green Chillies chopped
- 2 tblsp Oil
- Salt as per taste
How to make Tandoori Fish
- Combine the yogurt, turmeric powder, tomato puree, tandoori masala powder, garlic, ginger, red food colour, green chillies and salt.
- Blend them to a smooth paste.
- Pour this over the fish pieces and keep them aside for 1 to 3 hours.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan over medium flame.
- Add the marinated fish pieces and cook for 15 to 20 minute or until cooked and browned. Turn the fish pieces from time to time so that they are evenly cooked.
- Remove and drain excess oil.
- Serve hot with lemon slices and onion salad.