Sarson Ka Saag is a traditional Punjabi dish made with mustard leaves and spinach. Cooked with spices, this dish is served on the side with rice, roti or naan.
A common dish during the winter months as Sarson grows abundantly during winter and it is supposed to keep the body warm. Sarson are the leaves of mustard crop. Mainly served with Makke ki Roti, it is perfect for any main course.
Sarson Ka Saag Recipe
Ingredients for Sarson Ka Saag
- 250 g Spinach cleaned, washed, chopped
- 250 g Mustard Leaves (Sarson) chopped
- 3 tsp Ghee
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1 Tomato chopped
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 3 tsp Ghee (or) Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- as per taste Salt
- as required Water
How to make Sarson Ka Saag
- Blanch the spinach and mustard leaves in boiling water for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Grind together with 1/4 cup of water to a smooth puree and keep aside.
- Heat ghee in a pan over medium flame.
- Saute the onions and garlic until onions turn light brown.
- Add tomatoes and cook for a minute.
- Add garam masala powder, cumin powder, red chilli powder and 2 to 3 tblsp of water.
- Reduce flame to low and cook until oil starts to separate.
- Now add the spinach puree and salt.
- Cook for 5 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Remove and transfer to a serving dish.
- Serve hot with rice or roti.