Vada Pav is Mumbai’s iconic dish and is popularly known as India’s very own burger. Made of a vada stuffed between two pieces of pav bun, it is a popular street food across Maharashtra. The vada is made of a spicy potato filling deep fried in a gram flour batter and is served with a garlic chutney or green chutney sandwiched between two small buns called pav.
Ingredients for Vada Pav
- 4 Pavs or any unsweetened bun
- 1 cup Potatoes boiled, mashed
- 1 tsp Green Chillies finely chopped
- 2 to 3 Garlic Cloves grated
- 1/2 inch Ginger peeled, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- a pinch Asafoetida Powder
- few Curry Leaves
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder + a pinch
- 1/3 cup Bengal Gram Flour (Besan)
- a small pinch Baking Soda
- Salt as per taste
- Oil as required
- Garlic Chutney or Green Chutney as required
How to make Vada Pav
- Grind together the green chillies, ginger and garlic. Keep aside.
- Heat 1 to 2 tsp of oil in a pan.
- Fry the mustard seeds till it starts to splutter.
- Add the asafoetida powder and curry leaves.
- Add the ground chillies, ginger and garlic mixture.
- Stir-fry for a minute.
- Add the mashed potatoes, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder and salt.
- Stir to mix well.
- Remove and keep aside to cool.
- Make small balls of the mixture and keep aside.
- Combine the besan, baking soda, a pinch of turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp oil and salt.
- Add enough water to make a batter.
- Flatten the prepared balls slightly and dip them in the batter. Ensure the vadas are coated well with the batter.
- Heat oil for deep frying.
- Deep fry the vadas, one or two at a time, till golden brown.
- Remove and drain excess oil.
- To make the vada pav, slice each pav into half.
- Spread some chutney and place a vada inside.
- Serve at once.