3 cups plain flour
1 cup solidified ghee
4 cups water, approx.
1/2 cup milk
1/4 tsp. yellow food colour
1 kg. Ghee for deep frying
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup water
For topping: (optional)
1 tsp. powdered cardamom
1 tbsp. chopped almonds & pistachios
1 tbsp. milk in which 1/2 tsp. saffron has been rubbed in
- Prepare sugar syrup of 1 thread consistency.(Refer features for procedure of syrup)
- Take solidified ghee in a large wide bowl.
- Taking one icecube at a time rub the ghee vigourously.
- Take more icecubes as required, till ghee becomes very white.
- Add milk, flour and 1 cup water.
- Mix to make smooth batter.
- Dissolve colour in some water and add to batter.
- Add more water as required.
- Batter should be fairly thin (it should run offeasily when pour from spoon).
- Take an aluminium or steel cylindrical container (do not use lid).
- The height should be at least 12″. And diameter 5-6″.
- Fill half with ghee. Heat.
- When ghee is smoky hot, take a 50 ml, glassful of batter.
- Pour in centre of ghee, slowly in one continuous threadlike stream.
- Allow foam to settle. Pour one more glassful in hole formed in centre.
- When foam settles again, loosen ghevar with an iron skewer inserted in hole.
- Lift carefully, at a slant, and place on wire mesh to drain.
- Keep hot syrup in a wide flatbottomed container to fit in ghevar.
- Dip ghevar in it, and remove, keep aside on mesh to drain excess syrup .
- Alternatively. Pour some syrup evenly all over, keeping ghevar in a mesh placed over a container.
- Cool a little, top with silver foil.
- Splash a few drops of saffron milk, sprinkle some chopped dryfruit and a few pinches of cardamom powder.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !