Seedais are a popular Krishna Jayanthi festival snack across Tamil Nadu. These deep fried and delicious snack balls are a favorite of almost everyone. This variation is made with jaggery.
Rice Powder – 2 cups
Jaggery – 1 1/2 cups
Coconut – 1/2 cup, grated
Urad Dal – 1 tsp
Cardamom Powder – a pinch
Butter – 2 tblsp
Oil for frying
1. Dry roast the urad dal until light brown and grind to a fine powder. Keep aside.
2. Mix enough water with jaggery and make a thick syrup.
3. Strain to remove impurities.
4. Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl and make a thick, pliable dough (like a chapati dough).
5. Make small balls from this dough and keep aside for 5 to 10 minutes.
6. Heat oil in a deep frying pan over medium flame.
7. Fry the prepared balls until crisp and brown.
8. Remove and drain excess oil.
9. Store in an airtight container.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !